12 October, 2018

Introduction


Missy here - I have used ArkivDigital for nearly 5 years. It is one of my favorite websites! So why am I writing this blog?

Usually I go to the local LDS Family History Center to use ArkivDigital.com. I have another blog "Finding your Swedish Ancestors" that descries the various pathways on ArkivDigital, for finding various types of records.

I knew of Riksarkivet.se since the Summer of 2017. I had subscribed to their blog so to see what they were adding to their collection.

In September 2017 I noticed a blog posting on Riksarkivet.se saying that "they" might open the archives as a free access website world wide.

I crossed my fingers and waited.

In the meantime I subscribed to Riksarkivet.se at reduced rates in November and December of 2017.

I was using ArkivDigital through through the Faimly History Center in town 3 hours a week on weekends.

Finally, I noticed in January 2019 that Riksarkivet.se was going to present their information free of charge - worldwide.

Since February 2018 I have been using the Riksarkivet.se and I have found documents in Riksarkivet.se that I had found i ArkivDigital. In the last 5 years I have also created a FamilySearch account (for free). I am keeping my Ancestry.com account as my main tree is there. I am slowly transferring names and source documents to FamilySearch. I sourced these documents with a URL.

I realized that the only way people/friends/relatives could reach the URL in Ancestry was by having an Ancestry account.

This was the reason I have transferred my Swedish research to Riksarkivet.se. Anyone interested in seeing the document can go to Riksarkivet.se and not be barred by a "fire wall"of sorts.

I have relatives and friends who do not have an interest in genealogy much less Swedish genealogy? I think "my eye glaze over" is a very applicable descriptive phrase of their reation?

While copying and transferring these documents at Riksarkivet.se, I have increased my ability to source, and recognize what I needed to include in the source. I know that if this grand experiment with Riksarkivet.se does not continue as it is now, I will probably stay with the site.

©All rights reserved by Pathways in Genealogy, 2018 - 2020. No part of this website/blog may be reproduced without express written permission from the owner. In the meantime I am continuing my research into Riksarkiet.se and will post the pathways of newly found records.

Missy

©All rights reserved by Pathways in Genealogy, 2018 - 2020. No part of this website/blog may be reproduced without express written permission from the owner.

No comments:

Post a Comment